Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Swimming in Blended Learning


This semester I feel like I am swimming (think refreshing, not drowning) in blended learning. I am taking a course (in pursuit of my instructional design master's degree at UMass Boston), and I am participating in the BlendKit2012 online course offered by UCF. Earlier this week I did an IT-sponsored workshop for faculty on thinking about what should be online and what should be F2F in a blended course. Finally, I am "blending" my core accounting course (that I am teaching to new MBA students) with 25% of the F2F classes being replaced by online activities. By the end of this semester, I hope to know a great deal more about what to do and what not to do when teaching a blended course!

What I absolutely know is this: there are many great resources to help us get better at this! A recent article from the Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks provides some "best practices" that are definitely worth reading. Here are some examples from the article:

Category
Best Practice
Design Process
The best strategy begins with clear course objectives. Don't shortcut here!
Pedagogical Strategies
Varied interactivity and prompt feedback are key to student engagement.
Technology Utilization
The main tools promoted in the literature are discussions and wikis.
Assessment Strategies
Effective practices are divided on when and where assessments should occur, but the preference is for assessment to be conducted online.
Course Implementation
Student Readiness
(addressed together in the article)
Communication of the blended design, expectation, and process is key for student success. A F2F orientation is a good way to start!

 
McGee, P. & Reis, A. (2012). Blended course design: A synthesis of best practices. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks, 16(4), 7-22. 

No comments:

Post a Comment